Although it is rarely discussed in public, female sexual dysfunction affects countless women of all ages and walks of life. Women who suffer from various sexual health issues not only experience physical pain and discomfort, but they are also likely to struggle with anxiety, depression, and tension in their relationship. In particular, vaginismus – or the involuntary tightening of muscles around the opening of the vagina – can cause severe physical and emotional symptoms that interfere with a couple’s sex life and make intercourse difficult, or even impossible, for the woman to tolerate. Board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz understands the sensitive nature of female sexual dysfunction and is committed to providing an unmatched level of service and care for Beverly Hills, CA patients seeking vaginismus treatment so that they can break the cycle of pain and finally enjoy intimacy.
WHAT IS VAGINISMUS?
Vaginismus is a painful condition that involves unwanted contraction of the muscles around the vaginal opening, making penetration and intercourse difficult or uncomfortable. While some women experience primary vaginismus, meaning it has been a lifelong condition, others develop symptoms later in life, which is known as secondary vaginismus. In some cases, patients are able to identify the specific cause or inciting factor for their vaginismus, though, oftentimes, there is no obvious reason for the appearance of vaginismus symptoms. Some of the most common causes of vaginismus, which can be physical and/or psychological, include:
- Hormonal fluctuation
- Physical or emotional trauma
- Anxiety, fear, or stress about sex
- Emotional issues
- Marital problems
In many cases, the cause of a woman’s vaginismus symptoms may be multifactorial and involve both physical and psychological issues. During your one-on-one consultation with Dr. Schwartz, he will take a thorough health history, discuss your symptoms, and answer all of your questions to determine the most likely cause of your vaginismus and recommend a vaginal rejuvenation treatment that will best fit your needs.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF VAGINISMUS?
For many women, understanding whether or not their symptoms are related to vaginismus can be confusing, which may discourage them from seeking treatment and getting relief. If you are experiencing any of the following five common signs or symptoms of vaginismus, it may be time to begin exploring your vaginismus treatment options in Beverly Hills, CA:
1. Painful intercourse: Arguably the most common – and most frustrating – symptom of vaginismus is pain with sexual intercourse, known as dyspareunia. Vaginal pain during sex can be caused by a number of things, including poor lubrication or excessively tight pelvic floor muscles.
2. Painful penetration: Vaginal tightness during sex related to vaginismus can make it difficult, painful, or impossible to achieve penetration. This can, understandably, lead to frustration, embarrassment, and doubt from both partners.
3. Pain with tampon insertion: In many cases, the earliest sign that a young woman may have vaginismus is that she experiences pain when first trying to insert a tampon. However, this can occur later in life as well, even after many years of tampon use.
4. Pain during a pelvic exam: For other women, having a pelvic exam may have always been a source of extreme discomfort. Again, this can be one of the first indicators that a woman may have vaginismus.
5. Anxiety and fear about sex: A great deal of women who suffer with vaginismus develop anxiety and stress when it comes to sexual activity. Unfortunately, these psychological issues can actually exacerbate the physical symptoms, perpetuating a discouraging cycle for the woman and her partner.
HOW IS VAGINISMUS TREATED?
Dr. Schwartz is proud to offer an innovative, highly effective, and long-term solution for women suffering with vaginismus to finally realize a usually pain-free and enjoyable sex life. Dr. Schwartz’s signature vaginal rejuvenation treatment for vaginismus, which boasts an impressive 97% success rate, involves injecting the pelvic floor muscles with BOTOX®. This allows the muscles to relax, prevents vaginal muscle spasm, and makes intercourse a more pleasurable experience for both partners. BOTOX injections for vaginismus can be used in conjunction with traditional therapies, such as vaginal dilators, to further enhance the patient’s results.
HOW MANY BOTOX TREATMENTS DO YOU NEED FOR VAGINISMUS?
One of the most exciting aspects of vaginismus therapy with BOTOX is that the majority of patients typically only require a single treatment session to relieve their symptoms. The effects of the BOTOX typically take about 7 – 10 days to become apparent, at which time Dr. Schwartz encourages patients to begin using vaginal dilators. If a woman is able to insert the dilators without discomfort or tightness, then it is likely she will be able to successfully engage in pain-free intercourse at that point.
DO I QUALIFY FOR VAGINISMUS TREATMENT?
The best way to determine if you are a candidate for Dr. Schwartz’s signature vaginismus treatment is to be evaluated at our convenient Beverly Hills, CA location. Call our office today to schedule your personalized consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Jaime S. Schwartz today, and take the first step toward a usually pain-free, satisfying sex life and improved relationship in as few as one treatment!